Read the blog in (click on language below)...

Arabic, German, Portuguese, Chinese, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Spanish, French, Korean

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tropicana w/Cool Earth - RESCUE THE RAINFOREST!


We, as a family enjoy drinking Tropicana orange juice often. Not to mention it's "100% Pure and Natural". Recently, I've come to find out every Tropicana carton / drink you purchase, and register on their site, they will save 100 sq. FT. of the rainforest! Rainforest is dissappearing fast and causing our climate to change.


Facts About Rainforests:
On average, an area of the rainforest roughly the size of Los Angeles disappears every month.
Destruction of the rainforest sends vast amounts of greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere. About as much as all the CO2 emitted by the US every year. And it’s accelerating at a rapid pace. [1,2].
The deforestation makes room for cattle ranching and farmland for crops such as soya or palm oil. [2,3] But the money from these activities offers only short-term gains. Rainforest soil is thin and fragile and, once cleared, its ability to support crops significantly deteriorates. [4]
Rainforests are worth much more when left standing. They have an international carbon value far greater than their farming worth, and when managed sustainably, can generate a good income for the local economy.
Footnotes:
1. Raupach, Marland, Ciais, Le Quéré, Canadell*, Klepper, and Field; Global and regional drivers of accelerating CO2 emissions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, June 12, 2007 vol. 104 no. 24 10288-10293
2. IPCC (2007) Working Group 1, Chapter 7; Couplings Between Changes in the Climate System and Biogeochemstry. www.ipcc.com The Eliasch Review. Climate Change: Financing Global Forests. 2008.
http://www.occ.gov.uk/activities/eliasch.htm
3. Asner, Knapp,Broadbent, Oliveira, Keller, Silva; Selective Logging in the Brazilian Amazon. Science 21 October 2005: Vol. 310. no. 5747, pp. 480 - 482
4. Buol, Hole, and McCracken; Soil Genesis and Classification. 1997. 4th edition. (The Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa.)

I have made an account on their Site under Eco-friendly Mommy to support their cause. Every carton / drink you purchase, has a code on it which you can register. I've registered 4 cartons thus far. For each one you register on this Site, they will save 100 sq. FT. of the rainforest. Let me know if you would like to join our group. I will send you an invite from our account. You can reach me at ecofriendlymommy@gmail.com

Also, if you are looking for a place to recycle your cartons, go to the Carton Council.


6 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I came to check out yours and I'm glad that I did. I can't say that I'm be the best at reduce, reuse, recycle but I'm working at it! And it looks like your blog is a great place learn how to make improvements in that department!

If there is one thing that I love it is meeting other people, esp. women that have a true passion for something. I can see by looking at your blog you are one of those kinds of people! It's nice to meet you. AND.....you go girl! :)

Mommyof2girlz said...

Love your blog! So much great information and very inviting. Thanks for stopping by, it is nice to meet you :)

Veronica Lee said...

Hi, I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.

Angela said...

WOW! I love your site! There is so much to learn here. Thank you for putting in the time and effort. I will be back :)

Lynette said...

Wow, what a great blog. I am so happy that you joined my readers list. Thank you. And now I get a chance to find out more about you.

I am so glad to find a site that has more info about being green. So I will be visiting.

Justine said...

Wow, what an incredible thing for Tropicana to do!!!!! Now I wish I bought/drank orange juice!

Btw... you and your family (fuzzies too!) are gorgeous!

Justine :o )

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting our blog! Please leave your thoughts and comments. We are constantly trying to improve our site to create more awareness about being Eco-friendly. We'd appreciate any comments or thoughts you may have to help us improve our site.

Thanks again for visiting and hope you enjoy our site!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin